Midwest Magic offers a full line of live resin products, including carts, gummies, and tonic. Live resin is a type of cannabis concentrate known for its high terpene content and potent flavor profile. It is produced using a specific extraction method that captures the cannabis plant's aromatic compounds, including terpenes, at their peak freshness. Here's a breakdown of live resin and how it is made:
1. Extraction Process:
- Freshly harvested cannabis plants are immediately frozen, preserving the plant's terpene profile.
- The freezing process helps retain volatile compounds that can be lost during traditional drying and curing methods.
- The frozen plant material is then used for extraction, typically employing techniques such as hydrocarbon extraction (using solvents like butane or propane) or CO2 extraction.
- The extraction process involves removing cannabinoids, terpenes, and other desirable compounds from the plant material.
2. Terpene Preservation:
- Live resin is distinct from other concentrates because it prioritizes the preservation of the plant's original terpene profile.
- Terpenes are organic compounds responsible for the aroma and flavors found in cannabis strains. They also contribute to the entourage effect, influencing the overall cannabis experience.
- By freezing the plant material immediately after harvest, more volatile terpenes are retained, resulting in a concentrate with a more pronounced and flavorful terpene profile.
3. Appearance and Consistency:
- Live resin typically has a sticky, resinous texture and a golden to amber color.
- It can range in consistency from a sappy or sauce-like texture to a more solid, budder-like consistency.
- Live resin is primarily used for dabbing or vaporization.
- Due to its high terpene content, it is favored by cannabis enthusiasts who appreciate the robust flavors and enhanced aromas that live resin provides.
- Dabbing involves heating the live resin on a heated surface (e.g., a nail or banger) and inhaling the resulting vapor.
- It can also be used to enhance the potency and flavor of cannabis flower by adding small amounts to a joint or bowl.
It's important to note that the production of live resin involves the use of solvents, the Delta Extraction lab is beyond compliant regarding safety and testing standards. It is crucial to purchase live resin products from reputable sources that follow proper extraction and testing protocols to ensure purity and safety.
Pictured: Midwest Magic single-strain live resin gummies, 5mg THC each